How to counter Akali?

34 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   minq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just had a game and it was pretty amazing how she alone destroyed our team. I was Rammus and rolling with ~600 speed and she just dashed-and run with ghost into me to bring me down from 1,5k life to zero in about 3 secs.
I often buy an oracle to counter her stealth which is pretty important in a fight for her i think. If u can focus her she dies pretty fast but you cant always buy an oracle and it isnt that of a counter like it would be against eve/twitch which can be screwed without stealth.
So what are ur ideas or how do u deal with her?

OFFLINE   Pieceofcandy

『 Ex-Senior Member 』

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1606 posts
Solid CC is needed to bring her down, that and something to see through her shroud. If not you'll spend a decent amount of time waiting for her to pop out, in which she'll either finish you off or live long enough for help to arrive.

OFFLINE   doctorperdition

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Solid CC is needed to bring her down, that and something to see through her shroud. If not you'll spend a decent amount of time waiting for her to pop out, in which she'll either finish you off or live long enough for help to arrive.

My main Sivir has the answer to her little "cloud" she's got, it's called my boomerang. I keep tossing it through the cloud and hear when I hit her. I don't stop until she exits the cloud and runs in the other direction. I found also by keeping my ricochet on (when creep are near the cloud) it will bounce into her cloud and hit her (pretty darn sure I've had this happen). But the most effective is the boomerang, toss it enough and she'll be flushed out.

OFFLINE   Kirtanei

Stalking Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2338 posts
  • LocationRødovre, Denmark.
  • Summoner Name:Kirtanei
  • Server:EU

My main Sivir has the answer to her little "cloud" she's got, it's called my boomerang.

This. If she enters her cloud, start dumping your AoE on it.

Other than that, she's a generally squishy character, so lock her down (before she does a lot of harm) and give her a good ol' fasioned beating she won't soon forget.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Rageboy99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Sion.Mundo.Mordekaiser

/thread
Check out my Nasus Guide!

OFFLINE   Kirtanei

Stalking Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2338 posts

Sion.Mundo.Mordekaiser

/thread

Those are all situational. A general advice on countering Akali would be more useful.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   minq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, as i said, my main is rammus. So i have decent AoE. I ALWAYS powerball into the cloud and hit her, always. And if its not on cooldown i will hit tremor but its just not enough.W hen she has enough of the damage she just charges out of the cloud with her ult and u cant get her because she has this ridicously short cooldown on her essences

OFFLINE   Rageboy99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Sion.Mundo.Mordekaiser

/thread

Those are all situational. A general advice on countering Akali would be more useful.

Stun or a high defense

shes designed to take out squishys , oh wait that means shes an situational champion. the best way to counter is have a tanky team or cc.
Check out my Nasus Guide!

OFFLINE   Sm0t_p0ker

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ʇoıɹ

• Moderators
  • 1409 posts
  • LocationCaleeforneeuh
  • Summoner Name:Sir Smot Poker
  • Server:US
if she's nuking you for 1.5k, you need to buy some MR......
and as others said, AoE and CC are great counters.

Posted Image l0l --->Posted Image

View PostThe Hound, on 19 August 2012 - 05:26 AM, said:

I would nuke Japan and New Mexico just to preserve the memory of the Beatles.

Spoiler

OFFLINE   Kirtanei

Stalking Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2338 posts

shes designed to take out squishys , oh wait that means shes an situational champion.

Haha. No.

You suggested three champions that could counter her well enough.

Would you then advice that the OP always should take these three just in case he met an Akali?
They're situational as a counter suggestion.

But yes. A good deal of defense against her, if you lack that; hope that the CC can minimize her damage while you knock her down.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   DarkVejigante

Exceptional Cracker with Brain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
She brought you down from 1.5k? Rammus? Eh, how are you playing him?

Look at her build; the most powerful Akalis I've seen usually go with AP. Build MR (quite a bit, but don't forget to also build protection against other Champs). I usually carry Exhaust with Rammus; this, however, won't prevent her from fleeing. Catch her off-guard (make sure you have MR), run some MagPen runes, dump Tremors if she goes into cloud (her resistances are heightened while in the cloud, just so you know), and when she decides to come out, powerball - Taunt - hit W.

I suggest ganks on her. She is dangerous when fed, and can easily shred bad team. Coordinate team attacks and shut her down quickly.

Oh, and she is quite nasty 1v1 >.>

tl;dr
-Build MR
-CCs
-Gank
-Team coordination and teamwork.
Trying to learn Tanks.
-I love playing the roles no one else picks up.
Mains; Rammus, Nasus, Soraka
Working on: Galio, Swain, Morgana, Amumu

OFFLINE   minq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i had banshees veil at the time. at this point she was pretty fed but she does also pretty big dmg if she isnt fed

OFFLINE   peyo

peyo

• Honoured Members
  • 1743 posts

AKALI:

Description:
Akali is a very good, arguably the best, burst champion. Her Twilight Shroud grants her invisibility and increased Armor and Magic Res, making her much harder to kill while she's inside. Her ulti grants her great mobility during fights and allows her to keep up with enemies, as well as escape - she can jump at enemy/neutral creeps.

Spells: Exhaust, Clairvoyance + Ghost & Flash partially
Exhaust makes her unable to hit you and therefore activate her Q's on-hit active. Clairvoyance can be cast nearby the Shroud, so you can see which way she's going - after she quits Shroud, she's still invisible for around a second or half, during which she can hide in brush.
Ghost & Flash are 'kind' of counter, they allow you to lure her out from the circle so she gets no Armor/MRes boost and she doesn't disappear every single time you're about to use skill/hit her.

Items: Oracle Elixir, Vision Ward, Magic Res and Armor items.
Oracle and Vision Ward allows you to see her inside the Shroud, greatly decreasing her survivability. Magic Res and Armor protects you from her burst. You need both since she's a hybrid champ when it comes down to type of damage dealt.

Abilites: Long lasting CC, AoE damage, abilities that do not require a target and abilites that reveal area.
The best CCs are:
Silence - preventing her from using skills makes her pretty much nothing.
Stun - same as Silence plus she can't move? Perfect.
Taunt - again, she can't use skills and if you have an AoE taunt (i.e. Shen and Galio) you can try taunting her when she's inside Shroud, if you succeed, she will appear as she'll be attacking.
Knockbacks - taking her away from that **** circle? yes please ;)
Slows and Roots doesn't have that much effect on her as she can still keep up with you thanks to her ulti as long, as there's something to jump at.
AoE damage hits her even when she's inside Shroud, trying to escape or hide.
Abilities that doesn't require target (e.g. all AoE abilites like Gragas's Body Slam, some single target ones like Ezreal's Mystic Shot) allow you to see where she currently is if you manage to hit her.
Abilities that reveals area - Corki's Phophorus Bomb, Nidalee's Bushwack and Kog'Maw's Living Artillery - making her visible when inside the Shroud makes her almost impossible to escape.

Strategy:
During early game, before level 6 you want to harass her as much as possible and maybe try to kill her if possible. Just be careful. She'll be attacking back with Kamas, but even tho it doesn't hit much, she can spam it, so get in range only when you're about to harass. Do NOT let her get in melee range, so that she can't actvate her Q's on-hit active for free double damage.
Once she reaches 6 (or rather right before she reaches it), you should fall back to your turret and play even more defensively (I assume you're following basic laining rules). Her burst by level 6 is high enough to take down most of the nontanky champs down quickly. You don't want her to get early kills, trust me. Report EVERY single miss to your team mates and ping preferably to make sure they got it, even if she goes in bush in your lane. Better safe than sorry. She's a ganker, preventing her from getting early kills makes her weaker late.
Mid game is where she really shines, like most of the bursty champs. You want to prevent her from getting kills as much as possible. Map control (e.g. with wards) is always a great counter for bursty gankers.
During team fights you have to be aware of where she is. She'll be aiming for your squishy carries/casters and she can get close with her Dash. After she gets a kill, she'll go invisible and run away. Do not let it happen. Protect your the most precious carry as much as possible. You want to focus her first, as soon as she dashes in and you should be having Oracle's Elixir to make it WAY easier. The squishy targets should stick close, with as much AoE burst damage as possible, so that she can't be raping them on your back where you're too far to help them. When she used the Shroud to escape, you want to surround it with people who have enough HP to survive the burst. I hate it when our fed Ezreal tries to steal yet another kill with 200HP left, dies from just a dash and Akali escapes/dies from Turret, as she's too far for us to reach.

Might be a bit out of date

OFFLINE   DarkVejigante

Exceptional Cracker with Brain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

i had banshees veil at the time. at this point she was pretty fed but she does also pretty big dmg if she isnt fed

Apparently Banshee wasn't enough in your case. I ALWAYS stack more resistance against the strongest enemy. Maybe FoN or Abyssal would've been a good choice.

Also, like the post above says, she is a ganker... though, when they go MIA, they are VERY vulnerable. If you run wards all over the map, you can see her moving from lane to lane. Counter-ganking due to map awareness shuts down even the smartest players. Nothing worse than trying to gank mid, just to find you were ambushed by 4 players and brought down before you could even say fu.
Trying to learn Tanks.
-I love playing the roles no one else picks up.
Mains; Rammus, Nasus, Soraka
Working on: Galio, Swain, Morgana, Amumu

OFFLINE   ZweiPhantom

Paranoid mechanic with angle grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Summoner Name:ZweiPhantom
  • Server:US
Another thing as mentioned, cc=dead, but she is also a burst character, think of her like Kassadin, how would you counter him. As i mained akali for a bit (much to a mates disapproval) i can tell you, AoE is scary before ryalia's scepter, never take her on 1v1, always try 3v1 if possible, if ganking make sure she isn't within 2 screens away from her tower and get ready to follow her jukes.
MR screws her over, unless she goes AD/hybrid, in which case your lucky as her dmg output will be greatly reduced. Use anyone with skillshots/AoE, if you like tanking try Malphite, ground slam + AoE attacks hurt, or Galio as he benefits from MR, has AoE via smite/taunt and line skillshot in gust.
If she jungles buy a ward for the river bush ASAP, if she lanes be careful at lvl 5-7 as most likely she will be harassing for her present of doom.
Other then that, just be very careful.
Taric.... My enemies are stunned in awe of my DAZZLING RADIANCE!! -me
We cannot see the future. We cannot change the past. We can only live in the now with an eye towards gaining enough power in the future to wreak havoc on everyone who has ever screwed us in the past.

Ha yes! The Dragon yields before my power! I am Invincible! I am the Walrus! -Hermit
Answer me this, violence is uncivilized... violence is a normal human reaction.. but humans are the most civilized beings on earth.... Who is wrong?

Posted Image

Posted Image
woot the sig is back!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users