Starting item for Kassadin

26 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   peyo

peyo

• Honoured Members
  • 1743 posts
I've been playing Kassadin since before Season 1, starting with Doran's Shield + HP pot. Now that it's no longer possible, I'd like to see some ideas on what to pick.

Few things to note:
- I'm not using and will never use that stupidly terrible Tear of the Goddess, so don't even recommend it (QQ and Flame me, but it sucks ballz, that's a fact)
- I'm playing Ignite/Clarity so far, but might change
- I'm playing mid only, no side lanes
- that's for AP Kassadin
- it has to be cheap, as I want a Soulstealer asap

My To-Test-List:
1 .Doran's Shield (no pot)
2. Saph. Crystal + 2 HP pots > going for Catalyst (also, running Ignite/Teleport) - first early game went terrible, later on was better
3. Boots + 3 HP pots
4. Regrowth Pendant > Philosopher Stone

more ideas please.

Edited by peyo, 02 February 2011 - 08:37 AM.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   maxupp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
Hey Mate.

I'm a frequent and rather successful Kassadin player and tried lots of variations on starting a game with him.

I have come to the opinion, that the best starting Item is a Mana Crystal. (+2 health potions or 1 health, 1 mana, your choice)
Let me give you some reasons and thoughts: The extra mana is nice to have in the beginning, and allows you to harass a bit, but I DONT RECOMMEND that. The smartest move is last hitting melee when possible and with Sphere if necessary. If you play thoughtful, you can stay in lane until you have 925 gold. At this point i blue pill to base, get Catalyst and use teleport to go back to lane instantly (important on mid, not so important on sidelane).
(Most of the time i stay longer and get basic boots as well)

That thingy is amazing, and makes you last that much longer in lane, got me a few kills by level-up in the right moment, too ;)

Something on Tear of the Goddess: yeah, its a bad starting item, but it becomes viable after catalyst and boots IF YOU ARE NOT DOING PARTICULARLY WELL! you should build it into Archangels ASAP.
In some games it becomes clear after a few minutes that you are gonna kill someone. Get Mejais then, by all means.

so my basic build order is : mana crystal -> catalyst + boots of speed -> mejais OR tear -> archangels
after that i like to get either rabadons or Lichbane, depending on my current playstyle and the enemy team composition.

I hope this is helpful. Add me ingame if youd like to play some Kassadin practice against me ^^: "Ascaroth Ironass"
Regards, maxupp

PS: something about summoner spells: ever considered Cleanse + Teleport? saved my ass so many times ^^

Edited by maxupp, 01 February 2011 - 01:06 PM.

OFFLINE   krisp

• Honoured Members
  • 1570 posts
  • LocationParis
  • Summoner Name:krisp
  • Server:EUW

Awards

Weekly Wars - Bronze la baguette
I like Sapphire Crystal + 2 health pot too. It helps me with early mana problems, since I run yellow mana regen per level. With Strength of Spirit, a Sapphire Crystal provides as much hp regen as a doran's shield. I usually don't need to back before lvl6, and pack ignite and exhaust or cleanse.

Posted Image

Thanks go to hellbreaker for the 20 avatars and sigs

OFFLINE   peyo

peyo

• Honoured Members
  • 1743 posts
Thanks for your input.
Catalyst rush is what i was thinking to be the most viable, guess I've got to try it some more.
Problem is, it already slows you down a bit, so grabbing tear after catalyst would be even worse. I don't even build archangel at all most of the time. Catalyst is atleast useful :)
Now to your other questions, i can change my spells, that's not a problem. I know how good cleanse and teleport are, but i don't feel like playing with no ignite on any caster, so it's either one or the other.
I've done some math, and new Shield would regen these 200 hp over 8min 20s. Gotta try it first, as soon as it's out.

@above, Sos is getting nerfed and it won't let you pick 9/0/21

Edited by peyo, 01 February 2011 - 01:45 PM.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   maxupp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
new shield? what what what?
did i miss something? ^^

OFFLINE   peyo

peyo

• Honoured Members
  • 1743 posts
Ya, i mean doran's shield, it's getying slight boost (+2hp/5 and +1 armor)
Posted Image

OFFLINE   maxupp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

View Postpeyo, on 01 February 2011 - 01:52 PM, said:

Ya, i mean doran's shield, it's getying slight boost (+2hp/5 and +1 armor)

nice, did you find patchnotes somewhere?

OFFLINE   peyo

peyo

• Honoured Members
  • 1743 posts
They are already posted in these and official forums for several hours :P
Posted Image

OFFLINE   maxupp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

View Postpeyo, on 01 February 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

They are already posted in these and official forums for several hours :P

oh okay, they arent on the homepage yet, just the preview and the karma spotlight...

OFFLINE   turbOpun

#1 Cute

• Honoured Members
  • 717 posts
  • Summoner Name:turbOpun
  • Server:US
Meki, HPotx2.
Build to Archangel's.

Yes I read your original post.

Meki will help you NOT have to take that terrible spell Clarity, and Archangel's will make it so you can cast your spells so liberally while dealing massive damage with that Soulstealer that better have at least four stacks by then.

Learn the definition of fact, too.

If you're going against Karthus, Ezreal, Sivir, and choice others the 'Boots HPotx3' would be your best bet for dodging damage.

If you're too cool to top-lane solo Kassadin or build an amazing item, that's your call. Just Clarity every 153-180 seconds...

OFFLINE   Zomboid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Most of the times, I start with Sapphire Crystal and turn it in to a Catalyst as soon as possible. Many times I start with boots too.
"If you wish to make an applepie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"

-Carl Sagan

"Science isn't about why, it's about why not"

-Cave Johnson

"I used to think the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realized who was telling me this"

-Unknown

OFFLINE   maxupp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

View PostturbOpun, on 01 February 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Meki, HPotx2.
Build to Archangel's.

Meki will help you NOT have to take that terrible spell Clarity, and Archangel's will make it so you can cast your spells so liberally while dealing massive damage with that Soulstealer that better have at least four stacks by then.

If you're going against Karthus, Ezreal, Sivir, and choice others the 'Boots HPotx3' would be your best bet for dodging damage.

If you're too cool to top-lane solo Kassadin or build an amazing item, that's your call. Just Clarity every 153-180 seconds...

Uhm, his post doesnt even contain the word Clarity...

and getting boots is a waste against karthus and ezreal especially.

example Karthus: first 3-4 levels you will have to stay back a little, (or as i do, be VERY aware of those fuckin red spots on the ground). karthus should NOT be able to harass you below 50% hp, the second you get your ult, he is fucked, because he does NOT have a spell to counter your rift-pulse-sphere combo, and you can safely walk away after it even without any boots.

Ezreal works a little different: simply stay behind minions ^^ i know that sounds obvious, but i have enraged Ez players so often, because they couldnt land a single shot. Again, with riftwalk you will do massive damage to him. AD Ez is a bit more of a problem if he is smart enough to just counter harass you with autoattacks as soon as you rift in.

i even sometimes get catalyst, tear AND soulsteeler before buying boots. and it works, look at my profile for proof.

forgot to mention: karthus and ez are my favourite mid enemies because of their constant spell spam -> permanently charged Force Pulse ;)

Edited by maxupp, 01 February 2011 - 02:32 PM.

OFFLINE   peyo

peyo

• Honoured Members
  • 1743 posts

View PostturbOpun, on 01 February 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Meki, HPotx2.
Build to Archangel's.

Knew that would happen.
Trust me, i have played enough games with tear to know it sucks. Mekki is terrible starting item and clarity is perfectly fine on several champions, kassadin included.
All Tear gives is a mana. You'll run oom anyway. I'm sorry but I'd rather take clarity (which would give me enough mana to cast spells) and AP items, so i deal any damage. Kassadin's with tear has completely no damage.
I know the definition of fact and im going to say it again, tear and archangel are fine, but as a 4th-5th item, not before.
I know how to play against them, no worries.
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Ellendar

The raging AD Soraka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hey,
everytime i play Kassadin i get Dorans Ring and rush an amp. tome for ap and rank 1 boots.
But with this build you need Clarity or you are fucked up cause it is not much manareg.
After that i go for Mejais-> Magicpenboots->Rabadons
I get Mejais anytime cause if you dont kill enough to hold 5 stacks as Kassadin the game is lost anyway with a chance of 99%.
I know this is a real glasscannon but it works if you are careful.
Posted Image

OFFLINE   peyo

peyo

• Honoured Members
  • 1743 posts
do people even read first posts?

I know how to build him, what you said is actually what I'm doing (with the exception for Ring, Shield > Ring anyday), grabbing Banshee/Hourglass afterwards.

Problem is that the new patch is coming and you can't take Doran's AND HP potion anymore. I am looking for ideas on what to start with, not for the builds.
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users