Am I playing Corki wrong?

9 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Iwasfrozentodaay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok, so I had this ranked solo queue game later today which was basicly a 4v5 since our Kog was a total moron, he called out ''noob'' and ''stfu kid'' you know the usual treat, and then went to jungle for the entire game never to be seen (he was lvl 14 50 minutes in XD)
We won this game because of superiour setup and better general play from our part.

However, the part that buggs me is that, at mid game something, our Blitzcrank starts calling me (playing Corki) a bad player for whatever reason is not fully clear to me.. and proceeded to do so for the remainder of the game.
Throughout the game I had the best scores, reaching 24/3/18 somethingsomething, reaching legendary twice (definitivly not saying that score is everything).
The reason I'm not just dropping this thing is that Blitz played verry well, and actually seemed quite experienced, so what I'd like to know is if there's some truth in what he claimed and I'm actually playing the wrong way.
The wrong way would mean not to benefit that greatly from what corki has to offer and the right way th opposite (just stating, as some may say that there's no wrong way :))

He first called me bad when I was not engaging a fight fully, because that would get me killed I figured..
He ran into maybee four of theirs, I was nearby, our Kayle was nearby, our Amumu was not present, and Kog jungled (XD). This may not be such a clear situation considering how fed everyone is (we had th most kills at this point).
What I did was not getting too close and spamming as many rockets I could from a safe spot across some terrain.. resulting in the Blitz dying while the rest escapes, but with a good chunk of the enemies health taken away. ''Corki is much more than spamming R you know'' was Blitz reply.. doing otherwise would have gotten me killed according to me.

I spamm rockets quite much as corki, but If it wouldn't mean death I run my gatlingun autoattack phosphorous bomb combo on available targets too (valkyrie as it fits).
What I do is building him AD and maybee getting some AP/hybrid items that I can benefit from, not getting that much attackspeed but not neglecting it either. Thanks to the new scalings on his R (AD+AP scaling), getting some AP beside the AD will not gimp corki, just boosting his rockets, I think at least. What I usually end up doing in damage is about 50/50 magical/physical damage, a little more magical thanks to harass.
I have never tried attackspeed/crit/damage build (i.e the usual ashe build).

When the game was over Blitz told me he pretty much carried me through the game, which was true some times, setting up kills for me and such.. but isn't that Blitzcranks sole purpous in the team (well, beside to tank)? Besides I acted independently a loads of times too..
I would pretty much have no chance at higher ELO's (1700, I'm somewhat 1100) he told me to, but he never really specified himself I think. His final consern was that I've built rod of ages in my AD build, which I could fully answer for giving me a great survivability boost, mana boost (synergi with manamune) and rocketdamage boost.
He never really flamed or anything, just irritatingly stating his word, he called kayle useless as a champion though, but then I'm pretty unsure about her myself.

Then what way should you play Corki??.. I don't really followed Blitz opinion on WHY I was bad, maybee you could enlighten me and tell me how you do it.

OFFLINE   Scooterpie

I think I'll call you Scooter...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Summoner Name:Scooterpie
  • Server:EUW
Douchebags will be douchebags. Hehe, but to get to the point, spamming rockets is what a Corki should do, if you initiate a fight you're dead meat - simple as that. However, you can force the other team to engage if you continuously spam them your annoying lil' rockets.
With that said, once the fight is going you should pop E, move in, phospor and auto attack, with a finger on W ready to get the fuck out if shit gets serious. If you don't use gatling gun you reduce your whole team's DPS, which is a shame.
And to build Corki as AD without much AS just makes sense to me. Damage > Attack speed any day of the week, just don't neglect it. I usually go for Mercury's Treads, Bloodthirster, Trinity Force, Random defensive item and a Black Cleaver (works like a charm along with Gatling Gun).

In short, seems to me that the Blitzplayer was a Douchebag know-it-all.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
Would never cross my mind to initiate :), valkyrie=survival.
Trinity force is such a beast item on this little bastard thanks to ability spamm.
My attackspeed consist at the most of trinityforce and nashors, to cap the cdreduct with some overall nice stats too (oh yea, blackcleaver got attspeed now).

There's plenty of trolls and morons out there, but I get a bit puzzled when good players says such things without reason.. douchebags on all levels I guess.

To throw out my prefered build :D

Manamune asap (boots inbetween Items as it fits), bf sword to get much needed early to mid game damage, sorc boots most of the time, rod of ages for the great survivability it benefit and still scales up during the game the mana and AP isnt shame either, triforce because its awesome starting with sheen ofc, nashors/another bf item/hextech/whatever.

OFFLINE   gameguy301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
from the sound of things your a solid player but your item build can use some work. hybrid corki was the thing along time ago.

nowadays i suggest

not in order

bootz of choice
black cleaver
starks fervor
infintiy edge
phatnom dancer
banshees veil

OR

also not in order

bootz of choice
infintiy edge
blood thirster
lastwhisper
phatnom dancer
banshees veil

The first build is custom built just for corki. gatling gun, black cleaver, and starks will reduce a targets armor by 115. anyone who didnt buy armor will have between -40 and -50 armor. with armor penetration masteries, marks, and quints any one with less than 146 armor will have 0 or less to defend themselves with. starks also provides you with your lifesteal, infinity edge pahntom dancer is a massive dps increase and give you some decent movepeed. banshees veil is for protection of course it can be replace with blood thirster if your just hammering people.

corkis core item build is almost always black cleaver and starks fervor.

Edited by gameguy301, 15 February 2011 - 10:47 PM.

Posted Image OVER 9000!!! hours in ms paint do not steal!

OFFLINE   Horten

Emperor of Germany

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
I use Reginald's build and it works fine for me:

mana crystall + pots
manamune + zerkerboots
sheen
Black Cleaver
Trinity Force
Banshees Veil
Bloodthirster/starks fervor

2/7/21 taking crit chance and full mana->life reg
ghost and flash

R-Q-E-W

try it if you want, don't see any mistakes in your playstyle.

OFFLINE   MirageTank

It keeps happening.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Server:US
When you engage with corki, you better deliver, because you have to face forward to do any damage with corki whatsoever. If you turn around for more than a second your dps goes down to 0. Once you start shooting you better get some kills or you become useless, and if shit gets too hot, Valkyrie away asap.

Guage your fights, run away if it's not 1v1 or evenly matches in your favor.
Posted Image

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
I tried out you first idea gameguy but missed the greater barrage damage that I use to achieve, and the loss of manamune. While the damageoutput was massive up close I couldn't help but feel that the addition of nastier rockets would have gotten me about the same damage (ofc, depending on armour).. still testing though :)

Manamune is pretty dang awesome on corki IMO, I'm having problems' restraining myself from abillity spammage and manamune really helps neglecting that. If I get caught without being able to valkyrie away, I'm pretty toast.
Besides, I use to reach 80-90 extra damage with it in the end (3000-3500 mana).

Also, I find Cleanse to be a superiour choise amongst the summoner spells. CC is pretty lethal against corki and a quick valkyrie after cleance will often get you away from the next shit flyin towards you.

Edited by Iwasfrozentodaay, 17 February 2011 - 09:14 PM.

OFFLINE   gameguy301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

View PostIwasfrozentodaay, on 17 February 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

I tried out you first idea gameguy but missed the greater barrage damage that I use to achieve, and the loss of manamune. While the damageoutput was massive up close I couldn't help but feel that the addition of nastier rockets would have gotten me about the same damage (ofc, depending on armour).. still testing though :)

Manamune is pretty dang awesome on corki IMO, I'm having problems' restraining myself from abillity spammage and manamune really helps neglecting that. If I get caught without being able to valkyrie away, I'm pretty toast.
Besides, I use to reach 80-90 extra damage with it in the end (3000-3500 mana).

Also, I find Cleanse to be a superiour choise amongst the summoner spells. CC is pretty lethal against corki and a quick valkyrie after cleance will often get you away from the next shit flyin towards you.

Do you have mana regen per level seals and glyphs? If you dont, manamune would be helpful. If you do have the runes manamune is a waste for sure. If you dont have the runes I suggest getting them as they are amazing on all mana useingchampions.

now while flash is better overall, champions like corki and ezreal have a flash built in so cleanse would be the better choice.

im pretty sure the missles are magic damage so you will suffer a minor damage loss with a heavy armor reduction build. However the DPS gain from auto attacks and gatling gun damage will be huge!

I miss AP corki, the nerfs to AD corki crushed his poor little caster heart missile spamming was hilarious.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
Yes I have manareg runes, I'm not sure however how the gap between non manareg runes and manareg runes was reduced.
In my experience, mana can be burned through rather quick with corki, but it might as well be that I lack the proper manahandling.. manamune have helped me anyways, I will try not to include it inbetween matches =)

Yes missiles are magical so do not benefit from armourreduct. If they did, that would be awesomly hilarious.

OFFLINE   gameguy301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

View PostIwasfrozentodaay, on 18 February 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

Yes I have manareg runes, I'm not sure however how the gap between non manareg runes and manareg runes was reduced.
In my experience, mana can be burned through rather quick with corki, but it might as well be that I lack the proper manahandling.. manamune have helped me anyways, I will try not to include it inbetween matches =)

Yes missiles are magical so do not benefit from armourreduct. If they did, that would be awesomly hilarious.

the best way to conserve mana is to never use phospho bomb unless its necescary, use gat only when pushing or going for the kill, only use valc to run away and spam rockets any time you feel like it and youll never run out of mana if you have the runes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users