Master Yi as a tank

14 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   SLR722

i`m not a junior member :D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Guys i need some help.Every time i play with master yi its like im taunting the whole enemy team.They all focus me.have you ever seen 3 people out of 5 chasing you to base while the other 2 destroy your team?It just happened :(.Im thinking of building Yi as a tank because people are just used focusing you while ignoring anyone else.So if you build as a tank your team will win every teamfight becouse every1 is focusing you and they destoy them.
So guys what do you think about Tank Yi?

Sry for my bad english its not my first language.

OFFLINE   Bob the Platypus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
Not going to happen. Generally, people hate Master Yi because he's considered a noob character who noobs like playing. However, people are smart enough to notice that you have a gigantic amount of health and defense, and they won't attack you. You'll become useless.

Besides, Master Yi is a melee carry, he really depends on damage items.

OFFLINE   BlackSteel

Huehuehuehuehue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1541 posts
  • LocationOradea , N-W of Romania
  • Summoner Name:BlackSteel
  • Server:US
lol the character that gets most focused is Twisted Fate
srsly only good tank option on a char that was made to be a phys carry

Posted Image

credits go to Jsta,Hellbreaker and Baakr for awesome sigs

They see me rollin' they blamin'

OFFLINE   uberchicken

Never Back Down Co-Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
thoretically yes, it might work, he has bad natural tanking-ness tho, and ude hav to get at least some ap for meditate. go for it, try him out
Posted Image

wanting a clan with a bunch of people over the age of 12? with an actual brain? check out clan Never Back Down: http://forum.leaguec...id=22639&page=1

ty justin (why853), for thine signature in which i am using!

OFFLINE   Rageboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

View PostBlackSteel, on 22 February 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

lol the character that gets most focused is Twisted Fate
srsly only good tank option on a char that was made to be a phys carry

ehm....teemo?

Posted Image

OFFLINE   AkMaqawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationBrunei
  • Summoner Name:Maqawi
Done that, Play with dumb people they gonna focus you
Play with smarter people they'll just ignore you
Tanky Yi is fine, Try Final Yi
Read this guide, My fren suggested it to me
My link

OFFLINE   Flyguy69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Karth gets the most focus.

AP Yi is the way to go. 1 alpha strike and then you dont have to worry about all that pesky chasing/being focused. because they melted to nothingness. =D
Mains :Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks to Phantix for the sweet orbs =D

OFFLINE   drukai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Building him as a "Tough DPS" might work, not as a full tank though, people wont look at you if you cant hit hard.

AP build, you would want RoA/Rylais and Lichbane, giving you some huge Q damage, while turning you into a brick wall during Meditate.

OR you could consider an Atmas build. 2xWarmog, Atmas, Trinity Force, Boots and finish it up with your selected attack speed piece. A proper atma setup hits like a TRUCK end game, but has a VERY slow build up.

OFFLINE   Sonrange

*Nom* *Nom* *Nom*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationFinland
  • Summoner Name:Sonrangeri
  • Server:EU
I've builded him for Warmog/Impaler/boots/life-steal once. No more squishy Yi. Yes, still dealing sick damage with strong health.
AMD Phenom II X2 555 @3,2Ghz
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
ATi Radeon HD 4650 1Gb
4Gb Kinsgon ddr3 1333Mhz
1x160Gb Samsung HDD
1x500Gb WD 500gb HDD
32bit Windows Vista Home Basic

OFFLINE   Accelerant

Orchestrator of Penta-Rage Quits

• Cleaning Crew
  • 796 posts
  • Summoner Name:Accelerant
Final Yi ^_^ Best yi build :)

Posted Image

Proud Member of...

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Daeron

• Honoured Members
  • 1611 posts

View PostSLR722, on 22 February 2011 - 08:29 AM, said:

Guys i need some help.Every time i play with master yi its like im taunting the whole enemy team.They all focus me.have you ever seen 3 people out of 5 chasing you to base while the other 2 destroy your team?It just happened :(.Im thinking of building Yi as a tank because people are just used focusing you while ignoring anyone else.So if you build as a tank your team will win every teamfight becouse every1 is focusing you and they destoy them.

Tank Yi fails extremely hard unless you get really stupid enemies. The reason why people focus you is because you are a high priority target (carry). I don't recommend you tanky builds (this doesn't mean you can't buy them at late game) because it doesn't synchronize with your role well. If you want frontline DPS get Xin Zhao, Olaf, Irelia etc.

As Master Yi your job is to pick off one target really quickly (which refreshes all of your cooldowns if you did it right) then back up for a while (possibly using Meditate as well) until the aggro drops off. Rinse and repeat until the enemy team is dead. There is no point to build (too) tanky, as you shouldn't take too much damage during the progression.

Edited by Daeron, 22 February 2011 - 01:07 PM.

Gift from Hellbreaker
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Cyborgschatz

Do what now?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

I don't think building tank is what is going to help you, but rather, helping you understand when to fight and when to stay out of it.

Master Yi has two roles in a game, Pushing towers, and melting faces 1v1 maybe 1v2 if they don't have full on Stun CC. You want to get farmed by killing minions to start, then by champions via gank or counter jungle. If you have a bad start, or are vs a team that can consistently stun/shut you down before you can attack, let your team know that you're going to be farming minions, pushing and defending towers to get farmed up, this way you can do that and they know that chances are you won't be around for team fights for a little while.

Now just because you're not going to actively participate in team fights that doesn't mean you shouldn't be paying attention to the enemy and your team. If your team member is getting chased by a low hp champ, especially one that doesn't have a good stun or escape mechanism, then run into the jungle or river or wherever you need to to catch up to that champion and help your team mate get away. That doesn't mean going 1v5 just to try and kill a low HP annie or trying to slow down the entire enemy team, if you do this then you are probably going to give them 2 kills instead of one. But if it's just 1-2 champions that you think you can do good damage to, running after a friend with half health, then try to give them a hand.

Grab enemy jungle buffs, ward river at dragon and other spots to find people trying to gank or people who are running in the jungle with low health. Those are the people you want to kill. Get in and get out.

If your team is at top lane trying to harass the enemy at their tower, you should be pushing the bottom lane and stealing the bottom tower. If the enemy team does not come to stop you, keep going until you're in their base.

If you have build up your money and have a lot of the damage items you need, hide before team fights, waiting for the right moment to attack, you don't want to be out in the open for the enemy to see, then they can tell their team that they should get ready to CC you if you jump in. If they can't see you, they might forget about you for a litle while and throw CC on someone else, then after they use their stun/slow/taunt you can run in and kill their squishy champions.

If your team has a team fight and you are late to get there, look to see who is half health, some times it is better to let the Full HP enemy chase your team back to tower, while you sneak up the lane and catch the low HP enemy running back to base.

With Yi the hardest part is knowing when to attack and where to be, if you can get better at timing and knowing where you are needed you will get much better even though everyone still wants to kill you.

Edited by Cyborgschatz, 22 February 2011 - 11:10 PM.

How shall you die today~?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Get stamps here plox.

OFFLINE   7thFullmoon

The King of Trolls

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationUniverse
  • Summoner Name:7thFullMoon
  • Server:EU
Try out Final Yi, from the Dark Arts of Master Yi Guide.

Basically it's X Boots/ Warmog's Armor/ Atma's Impaler and then a few more items that you find to fit your build.

My Janna guide and Jungling Maokai, The Twisted Theory, you can also click the image below for my blog! ~ check these out please :)

Posted Image

NAJENA'S SPIRIT PROTECTS THE FORUMS!

OFFLINE   Forogorn

Mid Malphite

• Honoured Members
  • 1895 posts
  • Summoner Name:Forogorn
If you're going to be Tank Yi, then you might as well get Rylai's Crystal Scepter for the AP to increase your heal over time from Meditate, that and it gives you the additional HP you need to stay alive. Maybe Banshee's Veil might prove useful to you too because a stun or snare can easily stop your Meditate, and so this will prevent you from letting it go to waste.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image <- Sprites by Rakoth.

OFFLINE   CoffeeCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Guys i need some help.Every time i play with master yi its like im taunting the whole enemy team.They all focus me.have you ever seen 3 people out of 5 chasing you to base while the other 2 destroy your team?

If three of the enemy team are chasing you you while two of their team are destroying four of your team Tank Yi isn't the solution. A better team is the solution. Essentially your team is doing 4 vs 2 and still losing. I'm not really sure how you even start blaming yourself in that situation.

That being said: Tanking is about holding aggro and if the enemy team is focusing you it actually does make sense to equip yourself with some survivability items. However you shouldn't opt to play Yi as a tank in every game. Do it out of necessity and not convenience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users