This guide introduces you to the basics you need to know to be able to track/communicate with your League of Legends contacts independently from the game itself.
For convenience reasons I will be using Digsby as an example, but any chat client supporting the Jabber/XMPP protocol should be able to do the same.
1. Download & install Digsby (the installer might ask to install additonal programs, you don't need those).
2. Create a Digsby account and log in.
3. Go to Tools/Preferences. This should land you on the Accounts panel.
4. Click on the Jabber icon (third from right) to add a new account.
5. Fill the details as follows:
[email protected] (Replace 'username' with your account name you normally log in with. This is NOT your summoner name.)
AIR_password (Replace 'password' with your own.)
(Click on Advanced)
(Choose one of these based on which server you are playing on. In order: North America/Europe West/Europe Nordic & East.)
Ignore SSL Warnings
6. Click Save. If you did everything correctly your contacts should show up and you should be able to interact with them.
Things worth mentioning:
1. You can set up multiple accounts to run simultaneously (on each server and across multiple servers) as long as the account names don't match (Digsby can't distinguish between them).
2. As the chat servers are running independently of the actual game servers or login queues, you can still contact your friends even if the servers are overflow.
3. Running both an external chat client and the game itself is contradictory. You will receive everything twice, or things like game invitations might only show up in your external client (rendering that useless).
4. Additionally, logging out of the external client while the game is open will set your status to offline for your friends. To fix that, change your status within the game client (to something like busy and back to online, as the game client will not refresh accordingly, still showing you as online).
5. You can accept friend invites but adding contacts is problematic from the external client. Account names also probably show up in weird formats (the way they are actually stored as). You can use Right Click / Rename to fix that.
Edited by Daeron, 30 August 2012 - 06:08 PM.