Tired of AFK and DC players Ruining your matches??

afk players ruining boot

15 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Urgirlfriend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg PA
  • Summoner Name:Y0urgirlfriend
Hello all,

I'm sure like many of you, you jumped into a match and were ready to kick some butt in your 5v5, 3v3 or Dominion, and as the game starts you hear "A Champion has disconnected" and you read the chat channel only to find that one of your team mates has left the game. Blargh..... :P

This ruins the game for others making the game uneven with more or less champs on one team and often times will cause an "unnecessary" loss on your team and hurt your ranking. :banhammer:

Now Riot has implemented a way of getting back at those players who AFK, by letting you report them after ward but what about in game? What can you do when its 3v5 and you cant carry your team alone? There are some pro's and cons to reporting players.
Pro's
- The accused player can get their account banned from the game or get penalties in game
Con's
- Cases go to the Tribunal, and you have to rely on other players to agree to ban or not ban
-You have to "hope" that when you ask the opposite team to report your AFK team member that they will
-"IF" the accused person is banned, they can always just create another account with another email and start ruining the game for others again

Now, I know that Riot cant account for every jerk or troll in the game but I have another suggestion.

Voting to boot AFK and DC players -

I play World of Warcraft too as well as League of Legends, and one thing I LOVE that Blizzard implemented was allowing group members to vote out AFK, or DC players. You can vote players out for other reasons, but lets focus on the AFK players. The best part about this is that once the AFK player is removed, the system will select other players from the Que to join your group!

This I think would be great for Riot to try. Now I know the theories are different because the game plays are different but I got it covered, check this out. Let me know what you think.

Booting AFK Players:
-Any group member can initiate the "Boot AFK" option, but at least 70% of the team has to agree to boot the AFK player.
-The AFK player MUST be AFK for at least 5 minutes before the "Boot AFK" option is available
-Team members must wait 2 minutes between each failed "Boot AFK" attempt
-The player that is booted, is automatically reported for being AFK with notes from each team member that agreed
-Once booted, the system will select any player from the game Que to join the current match.
New Champion Arrivals
-Players that are selected to join the match, will have a notification askiing "Would you like to join a match that is currently in progress?" and they can select Yes or No.
-If the player does select to join the match in progress, they will load into the game normally and be able to see their teammates and opponents.
-The new player that arrives is automatically be set to the AVERAGE level of their current team mates and can select where to put their own ability points.
-The new player that arrives will automatically receive the AVERAGE amount of gold their team has collected in order to buy items.(Note: the new player receives the average amount of gold from the remaining ACTIVE players on their team)

Now of course this isnt set in stone, and comments and thoughts are appreciated.
Im just looking for a solution, I HATE when AFK and DC players ruin my matches!! :banane2:

Edited by Urgirlfriend, 05 January 2012 - 04:56 PM.

Love Always,
Urgirlfriend

OFFLINE   _wyrd_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Summoner Name:Wyrd
  • Server:Oceania
I can see a lot of ways for this to be abused, you could have a 5 man premade who are able to handle 3 solo lanes + jungle + one dummy account that sits AFK for a little while with gold+5 runes/masteries and an Avarice blade. Maths says it would take 8 minutes sitting AFK to earn the Avarice blade, you could do it with someone like TF or Zilean who have global passives. As long as the rest of the team does well, they can kick the dummy account when they're high enough level/farmed enough and get a random in to replace them.

Obviously this would have a very large amount of risk associated with it, there is no guarentee the team would do well enough or that the person who get's the empty spot would do well, but it's still a scenario that would probably prevent the system being implimented.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Urgirlfriend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg PA

View Post_wyrd_, on 05 January 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

I can see a lot of ways for this to be abused, you could have a 5 man premade who are able to handle 3 solo lanes + jungle + one dummy account that sits AFK for a little while with gold+5 runes/masteries and an Avarice blade. Maths says it would take 8 minutes sitting AFK to earn the Avarice blade, you could do it with someone like TF or Zilean who have global passives. As long as the rest of the team does well, they can kick the dummy account when they're high enough level/farmed enough and get a random in to replace them.

Obviously this would have a very large amount of risk associated with it, there is no guarentee the team would do well enough or that the person who get's the empty spot would do well, but it's still a scenario that would probably prevent the system being implimented.

Wow, I 've never known that or thought of people really sitting around do that to farm gold with dummy accounts. I dont really see the point.
What would be the point of farming the gold then to have the system bring you a new team mate? The new teammate would still get the AVERAGE gold amount between the remaining ACTIVE players. So the player that was Booted does not have their gold accumulated into the gold count that the new player gets upon entering the match.

The objective of the "Boot AFK" is to remove players that are not in game to assist their team members.
As far the random person that gets the empty slot to fill in, its up to them to play to the best of their ability.
The person that enters the game will be able to see their teammates to help them decide on which players they can and cannot play.
I myself would prefer ANY random person then going in 1 man down against a whole team.

Edited by Urgirlfriend, 05 January 2012 - 05:03 PM.

Love Always,
Urgirlfriend

OFFLINE   Loobiz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationArgentina
  • Summoner Name:Loobiz
  • Server:US
I see a great solution.. is a good idea
But there is a problem, as you said the summoner must be afk for 5 minutes before
vote but a lot of people when they want to be afk they just keep walking at base doing nothing
so they arent afk realy.
If this system doesnt wait that 5 minutes for the vote they team will kick people just for being bad
and thats worst so we need another way to fix this problem..

Anyway is a good idea and i hope riot see it fix it and use it ^^

Posted Image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Ninjapig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Summoner Name:Bobbybob

Awards

Weekly War - Tier 1
Another thing is ranked games, this could work in normal though. In ranked games most poeple want to play a champ their comfortable and good at since thier rank is at stake. What if the new player that joins feels very uncomfortable with the champ/doesnt own the champ/ etc. Also since ELO is at stake, it would be unfair for a person to just randomly join a game already going on where they could be getting free or lose ELO, due to the position of their teammates at the time.

Overall i like how your thinking of a solution to the afk/leaver but in reality i dont think riot can really implement this. Just giving my honest opinion
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Phreak Approved

OFFLINE   brzoskswinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
I think dealing with leavers is fine the way it is. There's not that many of them anyway, and most of the afk reports that you do get are people leaving when they think they have no chance to win and wants their team to surrender faster. In this case it doesn't really matter, since you won't have any higher chance of winning with a player that doesn't believe in it than you will 4v5. The smaller group of people who are surprised with something important or woke up feeling like a douchebag are fairly rare and don't affect Elo much, as they (in my experience) will be evenly distributed among your team and the enemy team once you play enough games.

Your system for dealing with afkers I really don't like, for some of the following reasons:

1. Why do you need 70% of your team to kick somebody? 70% of 5 is 3.5, of 4 2.8. This hurts my sense of mathematical beauty, just make it 60% (and make surrender votes 60% as well while you're at it).

2. Nobody will ever join a game in progress except by misclick. Most of the players who afk or leave do so, because they think they have no chance to win. Why should you tank Elo for teams that are losing?

3. Now, the above is supposed to be solved by giving free gold and XP for leaving (that's what the solution amounts to), which will only encourage leaving and may lead to unfair situations where the global gold shifts in some team's favor just because their big feeder left.

4. People will be thankful for feeders leaving, there will be even less reports.

5. How do you get drop-ins to play the role that the team needs?

6. This would be super-exploitable in 5v5 ranked. The enemy picked Garen when you got Nasus? No problem, get the Nasus to leave and get that GP in the fray.

Edited by brzoskswinia, 06 January 2012 - 01:34 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

OFFLINE   _wyrd_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

View PostUrgirlfriend, on 05 January 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

What would be the point of farming the gold then to have the system bring you a new team mate? The new teammate would still get the AVERAGE gold amount between the remaining ACTIVE players. So the player that was Booted does not have their gold accumulated into the gold count that the new player gets upon entering the match.

Guys sits there earning gold, buys a bunch of potions while he's waiting. When the person who is joining mid-game comes in, they just tell them to sell all their potions. Now you have someone who can set their skills/items to how the enemy team is playing immediately, rather than as the game progresses like everyone else has had to.

This is under the assumption that the person entering the match would have to use the same character as was chosen, if they got to choose their champion then the entire system is broken and time would be better spent on actual quality of life changes like server-side masteries pages. If they send the new player in blind without being able to communicate with his team, he won't know how his team is playing their champions so will not be able to make an informed choice. If they do allow them to talk to the team first, the team can give him an unfair advantage by describing how the enemy team has built their champions so far, so they could choose a champion to reflect that.

It's a fairly well thought out system, it's just that the potential exploits far outway the benefits.

*edit* OK, re-read what you wrote, you threw me when you used "players" rather than "champions", so they do get to select their new champ. Point stands, possible unfair advantage to a creative team, only solution would be to prevent people from kicking AFK players in a pre-made, but that makes the system worthless for people who are invited to pre-mades with people they don't know.

Edited by _wyrd_, 06 January 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Loobiz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationArgentina

View Postbrzoskswinia, on 06 January 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

I think dealing with leavers is fine the way it is. There's not that many of them anyway, and most of the afk reports that you do get are people leaving when they think they have no chance to win and wants their team to surrender faster. In this case it doesn't really matter, since you won't have any higher chance of winning with a player that doesn't believe in it than you will 4v5.

There is so much leavers, you are lucky if u didnt see many of them.
Will matter if the leaver is replaced with someone that isnt a coward and know that is a team play, if your team dont want to surrender you must keep figthing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Runepriest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Summoner Name:Chaosos
The way to not deal with leavers is to raise your ELO by winning.

OFFLINE   _wyrd_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

View PostRunepriest, on 07 January 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

pime taradox?

Posted Image

OFFLINE   SoupSoupMahGaa

League Hipster

• Moderators
  • 2100 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Summoner Name:SoupSoupMahGoo

Awards

Weekly War - Tier 2

View PostRunepriest, on 07 January 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

Acts like there aren't leavers in all Elos. -_-

Really though, not even all leavers are rage quitters, and those that do quit really early. I've see a pretty large portion of afk'ers who have connection issues and DC. This is always a possibility no matter what your elo is. And while leavers/AFK'ers aren't really that common, sometimes, (like my last fourish games :/) you'll get a leaver/afk'er every single time. So you may say it's not a problem, but when four consecutive matches are entirely ruined, I don't see how it isn't.
GO, Sir Meowington!
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Loobiz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationArgentina
Sure about that, disconnection arent always rage quit.. but i play a lot and i see a lot of them, saying that they will leave cause his team is noob or whatever
that is abig problem for all..

Posted Image

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Ulvein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It seems at a glance like an entirely valid option. I foresee some problems, though, that rather unhinge the heart of this solution. One issue would be trolling by doing a kick when the game is clearly lost. If someone does join the game, out of the kindness of their heart, they have just been screwed over by a jerk team that felt like dragging someone else's day down with their own.

So, to prevent that, it might be best if a few basic stats were provided in the window where the player is allowed to accept or refuse the game invite, such as the total scores of both teams (KDA), match time and possibly an image portraying tower loss. That is enough information to decide whether or not a game is worth jumping into. The real catch is that last part. After all, two teams can have even kills and completely uneven tower gains. For that matter, the team with less kills might be dominating the lane push, no matter how uncommon that might be.

Given the ability to provide the player being asked to join with enough information to make a fully informed decision, I can see the validity of this solution. The problem then becomes the time spent for the player to evaluate the game. If you are giving each player, say, 30 seconds to decide whether or not they want to join a game (before auto-rejecting), you are whittling away seconds at a time each time a different player is asked if they wish to join.

It's impractical at best, and the only practical solution that avails itself is to deal with the leavers as best you can and hope for better luck in the next game. Asking Riot to rid the League of AFKers is more ludicrous than asking them to release new maps even 1/10th as often as they release new champions (1 every 5 months - is it really asking so much?).

Edited by Ulvein, 09 January 2012 - 04:21 PM.

OFFLINE   Urgirlfriend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg PA
Wow, thanx guys for all the feedback. Again my status here was nothing but an option to help the game be more enjoyable for US who actually log on with good intentions.

I read over all of the comments so far, and I do have some feedback.

1. AFK vs DC - In these cases I can see how someone who lost internet connection versus rage quitting can be upset if they got booted and reported. However that is why the vote is done and why the 5 minute delay is there.I know a good bit of the time 7/10 games when someone does DC, in the game chat team members will often say to hold on as they are on skype, vent, or in the same room with the person who is AFK and can level the choice by explaining for choosing not to boot them. Now, I know not all people have the best internet connection (I used to have Clear), or the best computers (I used to have a dell laptop, Custom built my current PC), so when it comes to this, it will be based on the team members to decide boot or not. Needless to say its easier for the team to decide when the match just starts and it says "Summoner 1 has quit" versus reading the chat channel and seeing "You guys are noobs, surrender already!"

2.To Join or not to Join - This was brought up by Ulvein, and touched on my others, just in regards to explaining the current match to the player who is deciding whether to join or not. I COMPLETELY agree and like the idea of some stats for the match coming up, as far as how long the match is active, the KDA or some other information as to what is going on in the match. I know personally I would like to know if the match is 30minutes in and my team is 3/15 in kills. Now in theory, IF the player does decide to accept those odds and join he is then brought to the regular Champion selection screen. There he/she will be able to see the game stats, his team members and a quick view of the chat log as he decides who he will play, or who his team will need. I think they should be able to see the other team members Champions at this point, but I dont think allowing them to see item choices is fair, so we might just leave that out.

3. Ranked Vs Normal - I would MUCH rather see this implemented in regular games if anything. I play my share of ranked off and on and the players who play there are serious and tend to play til the last minute or at least have the potential/skill to pick up for their AFK players.

4. Gold farmers - As far as _wyrd_ and his comment on gold farmers, I dont really have a come back for that. I personally don't understand the point of gold farmers in this game. I mean I haven't encountered anyone who actually does that, and if there are jerks out there that have the time to sit and contemplate that......we'll shame on them (all I can say on this thread). However, in regards to the gold that the new player would receive when they enter the match that is already in progress I'm sure that Riot will work out the match in regards to that, if this thread even gets that far, they get paid to do the math I dont :lol: .

5. Vote to kick at 70% - As far as this goes , we can take it down to 50% of the team voting to kick, that number was brought up when I researched the Surrender option from League of Legends.com as it states 70% of the team must vote to surrender. See link. http://na.leagueofle...ay/surrendering

Lastly, I just wanted to Thank you all again for reading and posting to this thread, I will check back often for additional feedback.
As I stated in the beginning I am just stating a concept for Riot to initiate to make the game more enjoyable for us who play for the kills, the thrills and the competition. :clap: :clap:

Edited by Urgirlfriend, 11 January 2012 - 02:10 AM.

Love Always,
Urgirlfriend

OFFLINE   _wyrd_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
My suggestion was under the assumption that the person came into the game playing the same champ using the same items, just reset level/skills/gold because you hadn't said whether the entering player would rechoose their champ, but you stated later they would choose their own champ, so as long as their items are reset also, it's a non-issue.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users