AD or AP Katarina?

23 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   SuddenlyBananas

...thousands of them.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
I've been using Katarina for quite while, and the biggest question I have is which is more beneficial to Katarina, AD or AP. From what I can tell..

Attack Damage:
-Bouncing blades can end up doing damage like crazy
-Auto attacks aren't useless in team fights

Ability Power:
-Shunpo is a mini nuke
-Ult can do more damage ( I think?)

What's your opinion and reasoning? Also, if you have a build for her that works, I'd love to check it out.

OFFLINE   HunterMag

Grossly Incandescent

• Sectional Moderators
  • 1463 posts
  • Summoner Name:AĆ’tershock
  • Server:US
As far as I can tell, everyone seems to just go for the "Stack Bloodthirsters and win" build. Ult does insane damage, 400~500 AD usually.. They usually get a Leviathan/Warmogs and Boots of course, too.

OFFLINE   LinasKK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
My mate's main is Kata, at first he was going AD build and his stats were really good. One day he tried AP one and that was crazy, he never left it... Stacking that Soulstealer is a killer in early game.

OFFLINE   Saleka

Akali Chases Her Prey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If you're confident, go AP, if not, go AD, AD helps you farm whereas AP is pure enemy killing power, especially with Rylai's.
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Asjveal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
since a week or two, i've been playing katarina, and really AP > AD I'm not kiddin, it's harder to master but it's definately worth it in the end. I've had several quadra kills with my shunpo doing 800-1000 dmg. Basicaly once you have 300++ AP you can spam shunpo. Everytime someone dies your CD's decrease which means another shunpo, AoE champs in your team is pure love, finish everyone with shunpo and GG. Also Rylai's staff ( or whatever the spelling is ) gives you a slow on your ulti, which means they get away slower equals to more dmg. With AD you can't bounce finish everyone, only downside is... well you do less auto attack hits, but hey before you need that they are already dead.

I just love her, she is my new main.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

OFFLINE   Shomun

The Offical Guardian Of Furfags!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

What's your opinion and reasoning? Also, if you have a build for her that works, I'd love to check it out.

I plan to write a Kat guide soon and in part of it I will be explaining why I think AD is far better than AP, but I may as well list some of my points here.

AD:

-Snow Balls faster (you have a natural base AD, your ult uses 55% or so of your AD, got to check numbers, but your ult only uses about 30% or so of AP, so you have to buy multiple AP items to even get your ulti using your AP to do damage.

-Can Auto Attack to get your life back. I find this incredibly useful late game, I will find myself with small bits of health after a team fight and I can hit a couple minions quickly to get my life back to full.

-Auto attacks aren't useless and are to be feared. In a team fight sometimes you will find yourself having to auto attack because your shunpo is down and running will just get you killed, but auto attacks can make you steal enough health to stay alive. This also helps you to defend your base from creeps and farm creeps and down towers.

-Bouncing Blades deals more damage. BB is a far better skill with AD than Shunpo is with AP, why nuke a single target when you can nuke multiple targets, and many times I can do it when they are not even in range by hitting a minion and it bounces back into their team. This is great for farming, early game harassing, and late game tower def and team fights. When squishies are being hit for about a quater of their health with a nuke that is bouncing from their minions to them will make them back off if you have your team to back you up.

-Over all more useful in team fights, if you get CCed out of your ult you can still hop into the outskirts of the team fight and keep throwing Q at them, and Q with AD just hurts.

AP:

-Shunpo does more damage

-Don't need to farm back up blood thirsters if you die (although you can easily get minions kills with Q and you don't even need to have them full at all to still do amazing damage.

-Possibly more ulti damage, not sure though, I would have to do the math on that one, although I know it wouldn't that be much of a difference.

-Can slow people with Rylai's without losing power like you would in an AD build, although I find this very useless because by the time I get enough AP to be feared team fights have started and by that time other team mates will have slows and the enemy will be clustered so your main concern is being CCed out of your ulti.

OFFLINE   Skar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I guess I dont have to quote Shomun. AMEN

I use to play with Sorc Boots and 5 Bloodthristers (it can change because of the game). I can reach 600+ AD, bring down towers really easy, kill a creep of waves only with one BB, hit the 5 enemy champs making the squishiests run in fear when their HP go down to 1/2 and I have also make some quadruple kills with lotus

OFFLINE   Yarias

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Just to note, I believe that Magic Pen is more useful than either AP or AD on Kat (although I haven't done any actual theorycrafting or playing as her; just observing enemies and teammates).
Don't mind me, I'm just roving the universe vacuuming up more knowledge for the archives.

OFFLINE   BorutoRaikou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1317 posts
  • LocationSt. Davids PA
  • Summoner Name:BorutoRaikou
  • Server:US
Something to note is even with an AD build, kat's ult IS magic damage, even though the actual AMOUNT of damage is based off AD. This is why sorc boots and haunting guise are great kat items. I've gotten rylai's end game for the ult-slow effect, mostly because I end up getting giants belt after my second bloodthirster and I want more health. This let's me still farm and harass well, while getting an extra kick to shunpo's damage and the obvious benefit of slowing enemies while you ult them. I find that AD Kat is the best build for me, but getting a late rylai's can be game saving.
Posted Image

Thanks Gene :)

OFFLINE   Skar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
A rylai's at the end could be good because of its HP boots and slowing effect, but I think mix AD and AP o kat is a great waste of items/money and so.

Magic pen is basic for Kat, but that, if you go to AD, comes from boots and runes.

OFFLINE   SuddenlyBananas

...thousands of them.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Shomun said

-Snow Balls faster (you have a natural base AD, your ult uses 55% or so of your AD, got to check numbers, but your ult only uses about 30% or so of AP, so you have to buy multiple AP items to even get your ulti using your AP to do damage.

I'm pretty sure it says BONUS attack damage, as in attack damage from items. Just throwing that out there.

From what I've read and experienced, attack damage can be counted on as doing pretty well no matter what, whereas ability power has the potential to devastate if properly played. However, I just tried ability power recently, and 4/5 games i failed miserably :P. but that isn't ability power's fault, that's mine.

OFFLINE   ThyShaw

Game mechanics say i'm awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Can AD Kat slow ppl with her ulti ?

No.

AP is the way to go if u want your ulti to actually do something better.
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Skaminator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Imo ap is better because:

- Slow from rylai's
- You get more mpenetration which is essential for kata
- ap is more versatile, u can get rylais for bonus hp and abyssal for bonus mr, as ad u have to stack bloodthirsters, get sorc shoes + eventually 1 survival item...

OFFLINE   Volatile Seraph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
AP>AD for me

Sorc's Shoes
Rylais Rush is great
Mejai's if your doing well
Guise sounds good (haven't tried it :/)
Zhonya's to finish
[Insert Guardian Angel when needed]
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Priamos

Justice will be served

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
AD Kat is better. All AP Kat does is Shunpo in and use Death Lotus (which gets a slow), but even DL is worse late game than an AD Death Lotus, which does more damage. Not to mention that AD Kat can also autoattack people and push towers.

IMO, going

Doran's Blade / Doran's Shield
Sorceror's Boots
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster
Black Cleaver
Bloodthirster
Banshee's Veil (replace Doran's Item)

or something along those lines is the way to go. Get the Veil sooner if you're facing a team that has like Taric, Sion, and Udyr, because that's 3 stuns that can potentially ruin your day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users