Runes. Flat bonus or per champion level bonus?

7 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   FranMadaraki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
Hi everyone, Fran here.

Today I brought you a bit of SCIENCE. And a university-level mathematical operation called "division".

Welcome to my another take on the runes.
As you all know, there are two types of runes. One type gives a flat bonus, thus providing an early-game advantage, another one gives a bonus that scales with champion level, thus providing late-game advantage.

I am testing when exactly do runes that scale with champion level (further: "level runes") overcome the runes that do flat bonus (flat runes) and how much more bonus do they give relatively (if it's a flat bonus, like AP) and absolutely (if it's a percentage, like dodge).

Ability power: 6th level, 300%. For quints 12th and 143%.

CDR: 13th, 0.7%. Flat quint costs twice more.

Armor: 13th, 138%. For seals 10th, 200%. For quints 12th, 160%.

Magic resist: 8th, 243%. For quints 13th, 148%.

Health: For marks 7th, 280%. For seals 5th, 355%. For glyphs 5th, 364%. For quints 12, 150%.

Health regen: 4th, 465%. For quints 9th, 185%.

Mana: For marks 5th, 350%. For glyphs 8th, 225%. For seals 6th, 305%. For quints 9th, 200%.

Mana regen: For glyphs 4th, 464%. For quints 6th, 345%.

Attack damage: For marks 4th, 562%. For quints 9th, 200% (flat quint costs twice more). For seals 3th, 642%. For glyphs 3th, 166%.

Now for the interesting part. What does all that stuff imply?

First. Riot, you just didn't balance some of that stuff, seriously. There is just absolutely no reason to pick a flat AD seal, level seal is better.

Second. On average level marks scale very fast, followed by seals and glyphs. Quints scale much slower.

Third. What, exactly, to pick?
You may notice that runes are divided in two large groups. In first group level runes are better early on, approximately when you pick your ultimate, two-three levels before or after that. When people start to switch lanes and gank, that is. Bonus is mostly 200% or more. Second group is appr. 13th level. You are now gazing into lategame phase. Bonus is around 150%.

I'd say that level runes from the first group are almost always better.

Second is a very tricky question. The choice is yours. I suggest going for flat quints, though, as the bonus is mostly too little otherwise. But it depends on you. If you are solo (mid, jungling, side for jungler) you will gain the bonus much faster but hinder your earlygame a lot, while laning with a partner slows your exp gain, but you don't rely on runes that much anyway.

I also think that carry should always get level runes, this is a must.

Fourth. Level mana regen runes are just better.

Upcoming: a comprehensive analysis of all runes and their benefits.

Thanks for your attention, fellow warriors. Spread the word.

OFFLINE   FranMadaraki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
Also bump

OFFLINE   Razoor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Would you say it is worth to buy CDR Glyphs per lvl if I play mostly heros like Katarina, Ezreal, Mordekaiser, Shen...?
Because atm the flat ones are a bit too expensive for me and I am wondering if I should wait so I can buy the flat ones, or if the per lvl ones are also usefull.

OFFLINE   Graerth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Would you say it is worth to buy CDR Glyphs per lvl if I play mostly heros like Katarina, Ezreal, Mordekaiser, Shen...?
Because atm the flat ones are a bit too expensive for me and I am wondering if I should wait so I can buy the flat ones, or if the per lvl ones are also usefull.

I'm not Fran, but i'd say in most cases "to take flat, or to take /level" depends on your playstyle with your champs.

Let's take me playing kassadin as example. I'm a total wimpy pussy (well unless i get some lanemate that helps with it like soraka) before level 6 and i play like it aswell most of time at those levels. I dont go out of my way for kills due to not being able to really secure them anyway=>i dont really need to have those rune stats before i hit 6 and go gank spree. Hence if a stat i'd want gave as much at around that lvl 6, it'd be clearly better for me to use that.

For your case and CDR though, it will also depend on your masteries and item build that you go for. Would you gain anything really from the /level runes or would you go over cap in end part where your runes would be in full power? Do you got the mana in early levels to spam your abilities on cd anyway (ok only ez in your list even has mana but you get the point)?

Personally i do consider that for runes to need 12 levels to even reach the same stat amount is way too long, and would rather save my ip for flat cdr.

Also, bump for useful post

OFFLINE   Melios

Master of Tentacle Rape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3662 posts
  • LocationCanadar
  • Summoner Name:Melios V2
  • Server:US
Magic pen and armor pen are only in flat ones right?

Anyone who gets flat mana regen seals are stupid, level 4 comes at like the 3-5 min mark... Are people that impatient. XD

I do confess I go for flat magic resist glyphs for my melee build, but frankly, mages with a strong early game will screw your whole team over late game. Ruin their hopes! XD

Thanks for this though, +1
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

OFFLINE   fireup6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
There are uses for each type of rune.

Greater Glyph of Potency: +.99AP X 9 Runes = 9AP
Vs.
Greater Glyph of Force: +.17 AP X 9 Runes = 1.5 AP.
(Lv2: 3AP| Lv3: 4.5AP| Lv4: 6AP| Lv5: 7.5AP| Lv6: 9AP)

The difference is huge early game, and if you're playing a pure AP character, having an extra 7.5 AP can net you one or two kills.

Whole book of AP runes:
Greater Glyph of Potency: 8.91 AP
Greater Seal of Potency: 5.31 AP
Greater Mark of Potency: 5.31 AP
Greater Quint of Potency: 14.85 AP
TOTAL : 34.38 EXTRA AP When you start the game.

This is the equivalent of 1.5 of an Amplifying Tomb, or 652.5 Gold. You get to enjoy this AP bonus up until lv 6-7, at which point Level Runes would become more beneficial. This is hardly negligible and plays a huge role if your champ revolves around AP.

OFFLINE   FranMadaraki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

The difference is huge early game, and if you're playing a pure AP character, having an extra 7.5 AP can net you one or two kills.

Read my main guide on runes.

OFFLINE   yoshuawuyts

HUURRRRBUUURRRRDUURRRR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

There are uses for each type of rune.

Greater Glyph of Potency: +.99AP X 9 Runes = 9AP
Vs.
Greater Glyph of Force: +.17 AP X 9 Runes = 1.5 AP.
(Lv2: 3AP| Lv3: 4.5AP| Lv4: 6AP| Lv5: 7.5AP| Lv6: 9AP)

Whole book of AP runes:
Greater Glyph of Potency: 8.91 AP
Greater Seal of Potency: 5.31 AP
Greater Mark of Potency: 5.31 AP
Greater Quint of Potency: 14.85 AP
TOTAL : 34.38 EXTRA AP When you start the game.

This is the equivalent of 1.5 of an Amplifying Tomb, or 652.5 Gold. You get to enjoy this AP bonus up until lv 6-7, at which point Level Runes would become more beneficial. This is hardly negligible and plays a huge role if your champ revolves around AP.

Having a champ with these runes+amplifying tome = +50 AP at lvl 1. Zilean is probably the greatest beast, double bombing everybody to death. A nice second would probably be anivia, but she requires a little more skill. There's probably nothing you can do vs a 50 AP zil at lvl 1; unless you stack full flat MR at lvl 1 :c
Posted Image
CHAMPION GUIDES: MORDEKAISER
CLASS: ELITE THEORYCRAFTER

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users