Garen item build

12 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Taekken

XcZ Bruteforce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
Okay, so I'm just looking for suggestions for DPS Garen, I'm not rollin' full on Tank gear here okay?

My core consists of Boots/Frozen Mallet/Youmuu's Ghostblade

What would you recommend for the last 3 slots?

I considered a second brutalizer for max CDR for judgment spam..
Stark's Fervor if no one else buys
Infinity Edge because it's leet, but the price is... zomg
Phantom Dancers?
I hear Last Whisper is stupid for him because of no +attack damage.. but I hear a lot of GET LAST WHISPER ZOMG ATTACK SPEED
Leviathan vs Occult?
Warmogs + Atma's?
Bloodthirster for Attack damage?

I can't really thing of anything else, but any suggestions, comments, or criticism is much appreciated.

Posted Image

OFFLINE   TerrorsNight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay, I would actually suggest Infinity Edge over Frozen Mallet for your second item after rushing the Ghostblade. Attack speed is useless on Garen unless your attacking towers, and if there is another carry on your team (ie, Sivir or Twitch or Shaco) They are going to have Starks to increase your attack speed when you are pushing lanes. The biggest thing on Garen is Damage, Damage damage and more damage. No reason you should be auto attacking with him. If they aren't dead or pretty close when you pop your combos you're not playing him right. Just rush your ghostblade, grab lizard buff, Run Ghost and Ignite, Find your squishy, Pop ghost and ghostblade, Initiate on the squishy first, Silence, Judgement, Ignite and Ult. Then roam around and repeat. Now, In late game grab that Frozen mallet and grabbing another Infinity edge wouldn't be out of the question. But, if you're low on gold Snag Last Whisper, because although the attack speed is worthless the extra armor pen seperate from your runes is great. Plus, if for some reason they are alone late game you'll have them slowed with Frozen mallet and your attack speed will do the rest. Hope this helps.

OFFLINE   Taekken

XcZ Bruteforce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
Thanks, but instead of a second IE, could I substitute something else? Or is an IE my best bet?

Posted Image

OFFLINE   TerrorsNight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
IE is really your best bet, Just having a BF Sword helps you out immensely. Don't think of the price so much as what you gain from it. As long as you're aggressive in laning phase and doing your part in team fights IE should come quick.

OFFLINE   Noburu

Worlds best winner at losing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
Stacking IEs still seems a waste to me. After IE I would get a Black cleaver and then buy a Cloak of Agility to start build an Atmas Impaler or Phantom Dancer. You are only losing 2% crit and 5 damage with a Black Cleaver and Cloak of Agility and its a tad cheaper than an IE as well.

OFFLINE   Joykill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
also, the IE passives dont stack...

OFFLINE   Uggii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
The thing about Blackcleaver is, that judgment doesn't procc it. So you only buy it for the AD, but then a bloodthirster should be more reliable..
I was thinking of a Garen built myself, don't know actually the best, but my favorite one is this:
ghostblade
3-boots
executioners calling (crit / lifeleech), counters heals
IE

I was thinking about the executioners, but it gives nice crit and is cheap. Though you don't need lifeleech on garen because you do less auto attacks.
For the rest of this built I choose Aegis (maybe earlier in order) and frozen mallet.

From what i've heard is a hybrid garen (tank/dps) bullshit, my preferance is dps.
But still i can't think of items worthy on him else than ghostblade and IE.

Edit: Now I think I'll use this built order
http://leaguecraft.c...5464a0076ab9ff7
Games should be finished after IE or atmas, though.
If not ill add an Aegis and Frozen Mallet
Posted Image
Champions:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

OFFLINE   DoomGrip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ghostblade has to be your first item after boots. But I think frozen mallet is a good way to go. Garen builds centered around as tanky dps - I feel is far superior than just going straight DPS builds.

If games extend beyond - frozen mallet, tier 2 boots, and ghost blade - I tend to go for a sunfire/gaurdian angel, HP/armor/magic res boosting.

With ghostblade and frozen mallet - you are already a squishy stomper. The added HP/armor keeps you alive longer in a team fight and makes you just really annoying to try and focus down. With Garens W reducing the first wave of burst damage, and his AOE spin hitting everyone. He can really contribute plus his ultimate sniping down a low target.

Pure DPS builds are hard pull off on garen - just because he can be kited so easily. All of his skills can easily be dodged by running away -. Mallet keeps them within striking distince and because his ult is such a short range skill - he needs anything to help stay in position.

After for me personally I like going ghostblade, merc threads, Frozen Mallet, Sunfire, gaurdian angel, and an infinity edge.

OFFLINE   guest142

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I actually consider active slowing items (Cutlass/Omen) to be stronger on Garen than Phage/Mallet.
And after finishing the majority of your build you should consider doublepotting.

OFFLINE   A4ce2BRkndWth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts
Actually, the most successful DPS Garen builds revolve around these items.

Infinity Edge
Executioner's Calling
Youmuu's Ghostblade
Atma's Impaler
Leviathan

That's what I use for DPS Garen and I've had great success with it. It keeps you moderately bulky but still able to deliver huge blows. Filling up the Levi is generally not a problem.

Also, I use Exhaust/Ghost. If that helps. Great for chasing and/or escaping.

OFFLINE   TerrorsNight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Unless the game is extended for a long period of time I just don't see or had success with a Hybrid build of him. Frankly, I think it's ridiculous. After Ghostblade, IE, and Frozen mallet. I can maybe see going for some tanky type items after that depending on the games situation. Garen is like a Katarina, You want to let your tank initiate then storm in and silence the biggest threat and shred with your judgment. If he is played correctly there's no need to throw health on him. He's a Melee dps carry, NOT A TANK. So don't play him like one. I demolish tank Garens with my DPS build frequently, They just aren't viable imo.

OFFLINE   Taekken

XcZ Bruteforce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
Interesting....
Thank you all for your input. I'm going to test some more builds and bump it when I see what has worked best. :)

Posted Image

OFFLINE   Taekken

XcZ Bruteforce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
Ok so, I am back and I have ran a few tests.

I roll with a ruby crystal to start
Leviathan > tier 1 boots > tier 2 > brutalizer > ghostblade > Infinity Edge > Phage > Frozen Mallet > Atma's Impaler

Works BE. A. U. TIFULLY.

Although, now I'm starting to test Warmog's instead of Leviathan, My damage output seems perfect, so no need to test Sword of the Occult or Bloodthirsters.

I did find that a second Infinity Edge is unnecessary. The Atma's Impaler is OP enough.

Now back on track, I am not sure when to purchase the Warmog's... consdering it is 3k gold. So, any suggestions?
Will be doing more testing.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users